Keeping Your Nose Clean
Yesterday, The Boy got a sudden hankering for Cocoa-Krispies. Not to eat, as we stupidly thought when he asked for them, but to stuff up his nose. He was sitting in his chair, happily counting them in his bowl, when he began to cry. When I asked him what was wrong, all he could do was point to his face and moan "nose, Mommy, nose".
Sure enough, Grandma and I could see the tip of one lodged firmly up his nostril. Ewwww.
Luckily, Grandma is an experienced hand and not prone to panic. She sprang into action and immediately got him to blow his nose into a tissue; out popped a snotty-but-whole nugget of chocolaty goodness. This was followed by an immense sneeze that squeezed out the other two he had managed to get up there as well. A few minutes later he had a slightly bloody nose and a nervous mother, but was otherwise unharmed.
This got me to wondering why children do this. From Googling "why do children put things up their nose?", it appears that boys are more likely than girls to put things in their orifices and that nobody really knows why.
The University of Illinois Medical Center offers this advice:
What are the risks to others? A foreign body in the nose is not contagious and poses no risk to others.
Not what I was really asking, but thanks for the info, I would never have guessed.
Do any of you have a theory or ideas?


8 comments:
Sadly, HR, I fear that the answer may well be the same as the one to this age-old problem:-
"Why do dogs sit in the lounge and lick their gonads?"
Because they can.
Now that I have lowered the tone, I shall withdraw to a sunny Aintree for the day . . . :-)
While stuffing objects up your nose may not cause physical damage to other people, the psychological damage can be emense.
Whilst helping out at a childrens party one time, a very pretty little girl came running up to me and asked if she could have one of the chocolate cakes I was handing out. Crouching down to save the poor child from neck strain she gave me a beautific smile then the largest sneeze ever! Out flew a baked bean and itlanded on my cheek.
After many years of therapy I still find it difficult to walk down the bean aisle in the supermarket. So beware of smiling children when handing out chocolate cakes.
Other than the fact that they are boys and boys (especially the grown up version) like sticking things into holes? I got nothing.
Yeah, it really has to do with the fact that boys will be boys. We do some really stupid things. Don't be surprised if you son does something equally goofy when he's 18 years old.
We never learn, never grow up, we just buy more expensive toys.
At my high school graduation party, dozens of neighborhood moms came with checks in hand. They gave money to my mom and told her they were all extremely surprised that I lived that long...
I think jiffers and dixie said it all.
Jiffers - "sunny Aintree" - isn't that an oxymoron?
Mama Al - Thanks for sharing your story, LOL. I will be super vigilant regarding smiling children in the future; they are never up to any good when they smile!
Dixie - yep, I think you hit the nail on the head!
LA Daddy - I sympathize with your mother; The Boy has already broken his leg and he's not even three yet. I hope he survives ....
Coolbeans - just read your blog, it's great :=)
Any advice on raising a son is most appreciated!
LOL i am sorry but that is kinda funny, and thanks for the heads up on what i may expect my son to do when he is older.
Fem
Fem - Shoving things up his nose is just the beginning I'm afraid .....
Post a Comment