Saturday, August 11, 2007

The Mancunian Way

I had a dream last night that I was on the number 41 bus going down Wilmslow Road in Manchester. Perhaps it's the fact that it's been 103F here for the last three days; my mind said "screw this, we're going somewhere cooler, even if we just ride a bus". But it made me really miss England.

When I first moved back the States, I was pretty homesick for Blighty for quite some time. Then I gradually got back into the American swing of things and those pangs subsided.

But today, they're back with a bang.

I want to be called 'chuck' by a complete stranger; go to The Beech in Chorlton; drunkenly eat gravy and chips from the chippy; go to Rusholme and get a cheap but tasty curry; play softball in the pissing down rain; watch Countdown and Coronation Street; have a roast beef and Yorkshire pudding Sunday lunch at Ye Old Cock Inn; hear someone say 'put keckle on luv'; walk out on the street and hail a black cab just to go 2 blocks; order a pizza at Cocotoo's; walk the dogs at Fletcher Moss; watch the drag queens parade by on Canal Street; catch a movie at the Corner House and then have a pint; and most importantly, see all my friends again.

Ta-ra for now, I'm going to make a Ploughman's Lunch and pretend I'm somewhere else for a bit.

7 comments:

BetteJo said...

Wow, I didn't know we spoke different languages!

Sorry you miss it so much, but I guess it would be a huge culture shock.

Unknown said...

American English and English English are two completely different animals!

Jiffers said...

OK- - - - -Manchester Airport is served from New York, Chicago, Orlando, Boston and the Isle of Man . .. . I know they are all local to you so pop on a 707 - head over here - you know the door will be open . . . .freshen up with a small Fino sherry and we'll head down to Rusholme to start a voyage of reminiscence :-) . . by the time you are full of local foaming ale and have fertilised the flower-beds with the redundant kebab, we'll have you back at Ringway and you'll be home before the cock crows in your back yard xxxx

'tis true . . .. you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone . . .thanks Joni Mitchell

Unknown said...

Ha! Send me the 3k I need to get over there and I will!

Anonymous said...

Ay, chuck...And us lot are missin' you an' all! Am I right or wot?? Just get ont bliddy plane and us'll sort summat out! We've got free lodgings here for you (ok so they are "dahn sarf" of Manches-toh), but you know you're always welcome. Stop yer maithering, yer great Tarheel Jessie, and gerr'over here!

Anonymous said...

"Put Kekkle on luv" - I do believe you were quoting me chuck. Hey we miss you and you made me laugh out loud today and I just wanted to tell you that you have not lost your amazing ability to make people laugh. I too was reminising whilst reading your blog and do you remember the "pregnant She Devil of Patterdale".

Unknown said...

N@ "Tarheel Jessie" ROFL that should be my signature!

Anon - *blush* thanks for the compliment Winda