Monday, June 11, 2007

That Test

I had a dream last night that was still taking that test. That's some serious test anxiety, isn't it?

I thought I had mentioned why I was doing all this, but I guess I didn't; the test is the Praxis II, which you have to take to get a teaching certification. The one I took was Language Arts content knowledge. 139 multiple questions on grammar, compositional rhetoric, educational theory, writing and novels. It also has two essay questions.

For example:

*The doctor told Charlie to lose weight and exercise vigorously for forty-five minutes a day.
This sentence has two independent clauses.
This sentence has no independent clauses.
This sentence has one independent clause.
Or

"Why, thank you so much, I'd adore to."
I don't want to dance with him. I don't want to dance with anybody. And even if I did, it wouldn't be with him. He'd be well down among the last ten. I've seen the way he dances. Just think, not a quarter of an hour ago, here I was sitting, feeling sorry for the poor girl he was dancing with. And now I'm going to be the poor girl."

The Waltz, a short story by humorist Dorothy Parker, opens with the lines above. Explain how Parker establishes tone and uses perspective in the excerpt.

This are a couple of easier examples of the kind of thing that's on it. Again I say, it was hard.

Sniffle.







*
The "and" in this sentence is connecting two infinitives, not two clauses. There is only one subject-verb relationship in this sentence: "doctor told." Got it?

6 comments:

Dixie said...

Oh lord. You poor thing you. I'm praying that you passed it.

I can't remember any of that crap from school.

Anonymous said...

I almost forgot how sucky english is! I'm sure you did well!

Jiffers said...

Well, I remember this from my "O"-level Enlish Language days . . . ...
John, where James had had "had", had had "had had"; "had had" had had the examiners' approval.

10 repetitions of the same word is, aparently, the maximum possible in the English language. . . . now, I know that, as colonials, you have made certain changes to the Mother-tongue - [one of the more irritating of which is George W's insistance on removing the first letter 't' from the word "International". Isn't it strange how the man's use of "Inner National" has the ability to make my skin crawl . . .. .just goes to show his power, I guess :-)))) ] . . . .but I wonder if there is a more obscure use of English . . . . over to you all lol

Dazd said...

Oh you'll pass, you wait and see.

I would flunk because I'm gramatically challenged. lol

Unknown said...

Dixie Dazd and Anna - Thanks, I hope I did well too!

Jiffers - Stop that this instance! You trying to make me MORE crazy???!!!

But I agree with you about Dubya! He makes Dan Quayle look like a MIT professor.

Hawk Spirit said...

Big words hurt brain...