Not Quite The Queen's English
I am always amazed when I see and hear scads of informed teenagers on television and in the news media, asking pertinent political questions, organizing relief funds for disaster victims, protesting against the atrocities in Darfur, or just generally acting like real people instead of idiots.
Because I sure haven't seen or heard any like that around these parts.
Yesterday in class I participated in this conversation that took place between a black girl and a Hindi boy...
Girl:
So yo, where you from again?
Boy:
North Carolina.
Girl:
Naw, naw, I mean where you people come from? Mesopintania? Mesitinpamia? Meso ... Meso ...
Me:
Are you trying to say Mesopotamia?
Girl:
Yeah, that one!
Me:
That's not actually a country you know.
Girl:
It ain't? Aight (shrugs shoulders). I jus' wanna know what language do he speak at home?
Boy: (getting irritated)
English.
Girl:
No, what language do you talk at wit' your homies? That other stuff!
Boy: (exasperated)
What other stuff?!
Girl: (smugly)
Wells, I be speaking English when I'm at home.
I have to admit I laughed out loud at the unintended irony in that statement, I just couldn't help it. I haven't quite mastered not snickering at students yet, but I'm working on it.


3 comments:
Ha! Your students sound alot like the residents here at the asylum. At least your students are technically still children and have an excuse lol.
I think privately snickering is completely allowed when that's how they talk. I know my grammar isn't great but I'm pretty sure most people can understand me.
Hello. And Bye.
Post a Comment