Holier Than Thou
I was riveted to find out today that you can smell like God!
It's true! Meet Virtue the world's first spiritual perfume! According to its press release, Virtue is:
"a subtle blend that includes top notes of apricot (the original forbidden fruit), pomegranate and fig that transition to a gentle heart of iris, warming to a golden base of rich, exotic woods of frankincense, myrrh, aloe, and spikenard. Several ingredients cost up to $4,500 per kilogram, making Virtue(R) a truly precious mixture of oils. It is available in a 1.7-fluid ounce French bottle and over cap, with 24-kt gold raised lettering on the bottle and embossed gold foil lettering on the box."
Praise the Lord! And who knew that apricots were the original forbidden fruit? Naughty apricots! The company that's selling this product go on to say, "No one has ever done this before in a perfume - developing a fragrance that reminds us of our sometimes frail, conscious link to God."
I am really tempted by this offer. See what I did there? I made a biblical reference! Hallelujah!
But hey, it's about time they did something for the ladies! Why should the kids get all the religious fun? They got pajamas already!
Just in case you think that I merely stand back in cyberspace and make fun of "Christian" merchandise, rest assured I buy it whenever I come across it.
Behold! The Bible Bar! It contains the 7 foods of Deuteronomy 8:8!

One of the girls ate one and pronounced it "yucky". I agree, it wasn't as good as the fish gum we bought at the same time, but it was wholesome. It has pomegranate in it for goodness sakes!
It's nice to know that you can "buy" your way into heaven, ain't it?
If you're like me, and find all this "Christian Marketing" repulsive yet fascinating, I suggest reading Stephen Prothero's book Religious Literacy. He makes some extremely interesting on-target points about our current culture, one of the main ones being "religious ignorance is bliss".


1 comments:
Sadly, the perfume actually sounds like something I might like. And SPIKENARD? Who can't get behind that? (Maybe I'm pronouncing it incorrectly in my head, but I like it. SPIKENARD!)
Post a Comment