Roadkill
I ran over a baby squirrel today on the way to work, which is always a pleasant way to start the day. I'm telling you, the amount of dead animals you see on the side of the road around here is mind-boggling. And no, it wasn't me that smooshed them all.
Just in the general vicinity of my little town, I have noticed dead dogs, cats, raccoons, possums, deer, foxes, chickens, squirrels, turtles, beavers, birds, a pig and once, I-swear-to-God, a big black bear cub. You become immune to it after a while, but when I first came back here from the UK I had a bit of trouble taking in all the carnage. In England you might see a dead hedgehog on the odd occasion, but they probably keeled over from some old lady overfeeding them.
Although, now that I think about it, when I married The Wanker in Yorkshire, a guest hit a huge pheasant on the way to the reception and very kindly brought it with him as an extra "gift". He was a bit of a toff and didn't like to see such good meat go to waste. And people make fun of rednecks....


2 comments:
I just sat down to eat my seven-layer salad, and I read about your reign of death and horror.
Once again, you've spoiled my lunch.
But not all is lost: I found this recipe for Roadkill Squirrel Squares. Serve with one of those Tomato Sammiches, possibly~?
Toodles,
Vito
ROFL "pick out all the little hairs". That put me right off1
Post a Comment