Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Merry Birthday!

I have been diligently buying Christmas presents for months, wrapping them up and putting them away, smug in the knowledge that there would be no frantic last-minute shopping for me this year, not me, no sir!

Unfortunately, I never labeled many of them, stupidly thinking I would somehow remember what goes to whom, so now I'm faced with a rather large pile of unidentified, beautifully wrapped mystery items. Instead of doing what I should have done, which was unwrap the damn things and start over, I turned a blind eye and hoped for the best.

Tragically, it all came to head a couple of days ago when my friend, the always lovely Anna, stopped by for a visit. I had a nice gift ready to pass on to her mother, who really helped us out this year. Anna dutifully took it over to her and she - naughty lady, Santa is watching you - opened it immediately. Sadly, the note inside read "To Anna, Happy Birthday!". Sigh.

Anna, being the good friend that she is, got on the phone to me right away to gleefully tell me all about the embarrassing mix-up. She found the whole incident deeply funny and laughed and laughed and laughed at me. And laughed some more. I can only console myself with the fact her mother refused to hand over the present to Anna, telling her she didn't care if it had the wrong name on it, she liked it.

So much for being prepared!

3 comments:

BetteJo said...

I could never try something as daring as wrapping and not labeling. My mind is just nothing close to what it was - I forget what common everyday objects are, so to obscure something with wrapping paper ahead of time but not marking it - immediately - would result in a grab bag at Christmas and then a lot of trading. Hey - it's a concept!

Unknown said...

I have another slant on the subject....just procrastinate.

You obviously are too organized.

Unknown said...

Bettejo - I like that concept!

Paw - I am just *poorly* organized LOL