The Princess
The Princess has won her school's Martin Luther King, Jr. essay contest with the following entry, which I have copy and pasted verbatim:
"My essay is about Martin Luther King. He led the civil rights movement that changed laws in the U.S.A. so black and white people were treated the same. He said violence was bad. He led marches and peaceful protests. I asked my grandma how things used to be before Martin Luther King.
She only went to school with white kids. White and black people went to seprat schools. She had no black freinds when she was little. The only black people she new were servants. She is 66 years old. She graduated from high school in 1957. She grew up in Georgia near Atlanta. At the movies whites sat downstairs and blacks sat in the balcony and came in threw a diffrent door. Blacks and whites couldn't eat in the same restraunts. There were black neighborhoods and white ones. Black and white people weren't allowed to date or get married. My grandma and me have black freinds and work with black people because of what Martin Luther King, Jr. did."
She is only eight! I am immensely impressed with her; it was her idea to interview Grandma about her life to demonstrate how what Martin Luther King did changed all of ours. I think she did a great job, although I am biased, obviously. I am one proud mama!


2 comments:
And proud you should be! The Princess is without a doubt your "mini-me".
That's my Lady Madeline!!!
Post a Comment