Not Ready To Make Nice
Just watching the Grammy Awards; sadly I missed the much ballyhooed Police reunion, but I have been tickled pink by the fact The Dixie Chicks pretty much won everything they were nominated for, including album of the year.
If you don't know anything about them, they are a country music trio who were wildly popular until the lead singer was quoted on the eve of the invasion of Iraq saying, "Just so you know, we're ashamed the President of the United States is from Texas" during a concert in London (they are from Texas as well).
They were instantly pilloried in the U.S. press, country music stations stopped playing their songs, and former fans destroyed their albums because they were "un-American" in the usual over-reactionary hysterical fashion. It was a real witch-hunt, all very well documented in Shut Up And Sing. I recommend watching it if you get the chance.
"Taking The Long Way" is an excellent album that addresses what they've been through the last few years as social and commercial pariahs (who turned out to be right). They were very gracious in their acceptance, pointing out that the Grammy voters seemed to be exercising their free speech more than commenting on the quality of their music.
Although the quality of their music is top-notch, I would say they were right; up yours Dubya.


0 comments:
Post a Comment