Thursday, February 8, 2007

Viva the Hoo Ha!

There is a dinner theater in Atlantic Beach, Florida that is currently presenting an amateur version of 'The Vagina Monologues'. It's being produced by a group of law students, with all proceeds to be donated to local charities. That's a worthy endeavour, I hear you say; nicely done you wonderful law students but shouldn't you be suing someone, I hear you wonder; please GOD don't make me sit through an amateur version of the 'The Vagina Monologues', I hear you beg. Look, please stop begging, I can assure you NOBODY wants to see that.

The reason this dinner theater has come to my attention is that they have voluntarily changed the lettering on their marquee after a complaint from a local citizen who did not want to see the word "vagina" written on a sign IN PUBLIC. The nerve! I almost felt like swooning myself!

Their solution? Change the name of the play to......'The HooHaa Monologues' . I know it sounds too good to be true, but you can read about it here. For those of you NOT from the American South, hoo ha is a slang word for .... well, you know, that place in your down-belows that only women have, that wereallyshouldn'tbetalkingabout!

I got the impression from the article that the dinner theater *might* have been taking the piss when they changed it, probably hoping to point out that the whole friggin' raison d'etre of the play is to demystify, and yes celebrate, the word "vagina".

I'm pretty sure the irony was lost on those who complained, but me and my hoo ha got a big kick out of it!

0 comments: