Friday, January 4, 2008

Truly A Moment In History

I generally avoid talking about politics in this blog, although you have probably figured out by now from past posts that I am NOT a Republican.

However, I cannot contain my excitement at the fact that Barack Obama won Iowa last night. Regardless of what your political leanings are, it is impossible to ignore the fact that American history was made. For the first time, a black Presidential candidate has been taken seriously and stands poised to go all the way to the White House. I can't tell you how proud I am of my fellow citizens in Iowa. I also see maybe - just maybe - there might be a chance that things will change, a small hope that America is sick of the divisiveness, sick of the endless bickering, sick of the status quo that is clearly not working. I have no idea whether Obama can or will actually win the race, but I do know that just his presence as a candidate lifts the bar for the whole darn thing.

Here is his acceptance speech. The Husband says he doesn't like the "preachy" quality, but I liked it and I like him.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Sorry, I'm a Hillary Supporter and she won NH last night!!!!

Come on woman, in your lifetime to have a woman president...why him?

Unknown said...

I am all for a woman for president, just not THIS woman. If she wins the nomination it will be all about *Bill* and that blue dress, his lies and misdemeanors, NOT about her. I just don't want to hear it anymore, is all. I am sick of the Bushies and the Clintons, it's time for a different family to move into the White House!

Unknown said...

I think it wise to forget all preconceived notions...about both of them. Listen to the issues, listen to the responses and judge from there.

I really don't know how you can dislike someone you've never met.

I would really like to see this become less personal and more about who can do the job.

I don't see Bill in this, I see all Hillary...she's working her ass off, she's a smart woman....I don't think you should take that away from her.

At least we have great choices this election.