Monday, March 10, 2008

Amen To That!

As much as I believe in the separation of Church and State (and I believe in it a lot), there are some benefits to sending your child to a church school. For a start, the majority of these schools in the US use the A Beka system (click the linkie if you don't know what that is). Yes, there is some element of "A is for Abraham" in there, but I like the fact that my child is learning that having values matters.

The downside, as we discovered with The Princess, is that little kids can't really tell the difference between religion and secular icons; her complicated rendition of how Jesus came over on the Mayflower remains one of my favorite memories of all time.

And so it goes with The Punk.

He was a happy little camper all day yesterday, puttering around with his tools and singing to himself. Except the words he was singing went, "Spank me harder, spank me harder..." ending with a heartfelt "Amen!". We sure were curious where he learned that one, in between bouts of hysterical laughter.

Grandma finally figured out that the song he was singing should have went "Bless us Father, bless us Father, for our food ... Amen". His class sing this every day at school before they have snack-time, and I guess he got a little confused.

I'll admit I like his version better.

2 comments:

Mahala said...

I think I'll try the "spank me harder" prayer before bedtime tonight.

BetteJo said...

I'm not sure I wanna touch that one!!