Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Quarantined!!!

Remember me telling you a couple of weeks ago how sick everyone has been in our house? And how we all kept giving various colds and stomach flus to each other? And how I commented that The Husband had been ever so pathetic when it was his turn at being ill, but that he was a slacker 'cause we'd all been waaay sicker than he was? Member that?

Well, here's the funny thing.

I was thinking about all that, and how you should never ever impugn a man's honor no matter what the subject is, as I was driving him to the emergency room this morning. After three days of body wracking shivering chills, gripping nausea and a constant 102F temperature, he finally agreed that perhaps medical intervention was needed after all, and off we went to find out that he has a severe case of the flu. I am happy to report that it was NOT Lyme disease, cancer, leprosy malaria or typhoid like The Husband was worried about in his delirium (and he calls me a hypochondriac, hmmph).

I was excited because it's always such a joy to take a trip our local hospital. And when I say joy, I mean a miserable trip into the bowels of hell. It's always packed to the rafters and the staff there, who are generally shipped in from Duke Hospital, rarely hide their low opinions of the yokels; I actually had a doctor once quip "it's so nice to talk to someone intelligent for a change". So much for the old bedside manner, doc!

Today was not much better - the doctor condescendingly tried to take me to task for not getting my entire family flu shots already. When I asked him if The Husband had one of the strains that matched this year's flu shot, 'cause I had heard from the CDC that it only covered maybe 40% of what was going around this year, so what exactly would be the point of that, he looked extremely surprised and blurted, " oh you know about that?". When I assured him that yes, I could actually read, and would he please answer the question, he at least had the grace to look embarrassed as he mumbled a muted "no". Asshat.

So I am living in fear of future illness now; yesterday my manager at the gallery had the exact same symptoms as The Husband. Damn that Protestant work ethic that drives infected people to turn up at work!!! And now that I think about it, George, my Emergency Back-Up Husband (TM), was at the house on Sunday feeling very sick with something that seems like flu now in retrospect. Grrrrrr.

Thanks for sharing ya'll, don't come back now, ya hear?

2 comments:

Mahala said...

ew. Lysol. Lots and lots of Lysol.

BetteJo said...

Don't forget the doorknobs. Really.