Monday, September 17, 2007

Muffins ... Not Just For Breakfast Anymore

Right about the time that I start to think I'm still "with it", I am rudely reminded how far away from "with it" I truly am. And my using the term "with it" pretty much tells you everything you need to know about my cool factor.

Today at work, I overheard the tail-end of a conversation about muffins. "Mmmmm....muffins", I thought. I can join in, I told myself, I love muffins! But wait! What kind of muffins are we talking about here? Blueberry? Lemon? No? I guess I'll listen a bit more .... Huh. What's the big deal about the tops of muffins? The crunchy spill over is the best part! I don't get it....

Then it began to dawn on me that my colleagues weren't talking about those incredibly delicious puffs of joy in a shiny tinfoil wrapper; they were, in fact, talking about fashion. Particularly the perils of sporting the "muffin top" look.

So what exactly is a muffin top? Here's the definition from the always fascinating Wikipedia: "Muffin-top (or muffin-top girl) is a generally pejorative, slang term used for a person, usually female, whose flabby midsection spills over the waistline of his or her pants in a manner that resembles the top of a muffin spilling over its casing. This generally occurs when an individual wears low-rise or hip-hugger pants and midriff-baring tops."

And they thoughtfully provide a picture comparing an actual muffin to the "muffin-top look". Just in case your mental image was not clear.

Ooooohhhhhkay
.

I ever-so-slowly tried to suck in my overhanging belly while casually joining in the raucous laughter at the silly, silly people who dress like that. Since I don't wear midriff bearing tops, I am hoping nobody noticed that I could be the walking poster girl for the muffin-top look every day. And not on purpose I hasten to add, it's totally involuntary. Too many muffins, I suppose. But I'm not sure I got away with it; because honestly, they all do have two eyes that seem to work pretty good.

Oh, and the verdict on the "muffin-top" look? It's sooooooooooo 2006.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmmmmmmmm, muffintops

Mahala said...

Shoot.. I'm carting around a whole dozen.

BetteJo said...

Yeah, that's the part I was showing to the dermatologist and crew when he had me lifting up my shirt in his office. But I am so not with it - I couldn't remember what it was called!

Anonymous said...

And I was beginnig to think that all these idiots shrunk they're laundry, or that they were just trying too hard to hold on to that favorite shirt for toooooo long.

Anonymous said...

And I was beginnig to think that all these idiots shrunk they're laundry, or that they were just trying too hard to hold on to that favorite shirt for toooooo long.