Tuesday, September 11, 2007

The Swarm

The cicadas arrived a couple of weeks ago and they are driving me crazy. The little buggers appear out of nowhere about this time every summer and do their best to scare the total bejeesus out of me.

Don't get me wrong; I'm not afraid of bugs (that is me holding the one pictured to the right. You can tell it's me by the total lack of any kind of manicure.) And it's not even the incessant "songs" they sing every night that can get so loud it will drown out all normal conversation.

Nope, it's because they deliberately lie in wait just outside the door; and when I take a step through .... BAM! ... I get nailed. At least once a day, I am dive bombed by one of the damn things. They are pretty big bugs and fast, too; if they manage to smack you upside the head, you feel it. And up close and personal like that, they sound like a chain saw.

Recently I walked out onto the deck, carrying a glass of wine, and one flew straight for my eyes. This startled me into involuntarily hurling my own drink up into my face. As much as it royally entertained everyone else present, I was much less than pleased.

The one pictured above knocked himself out trying to get me last night, so I grabbed him to have a little talk, and maybe get him to pass on a few words of warning to his friends. He got a little angry, but that just made me enjoy it even more.

Right after that, I squashed him! Haha, just kidding! I only flicked him between the eyes like he meant to do to me, then I let him go free. I am expecting some sort of revenge attempt later this evening, but I'll be ready with my tennis racket, baby. Bring 'em on!

3 comments:

BetteJo said...

Hurled your drink into your eyes? I'm sorry, but that's pretty funny! Those beady eyed guys just seem to make a lot of noise by my house, none have hurled themselves at me. But then, I don't leave the confines of my home with alcohol.
Maybe they just like to drink? *Tee hee.*

Mahala said...

I've never been attacked by a bug, causing me to pour wine on myself, but Ma used to swat imaginary gnats when she drank Shlitz.

Unknown said...

Bettejo - Yes, in a spastic fashion, I hurled a full glass of wine into my face, so that my head and upper body were dripping. According to eye-witnesses, it was HILARIOUS.

I dunno, maybe I have bad bug karma ....

Mahala - LOL, that reminds me of my grandma, but she liked to drink Budweiser!